I used to make flowers out of felt, which was a lot of work with all the hand sewing. Unfortunately felt doesn’t wear very well, it droops, attracts dust and gets those little pilled balls like old jerseys.
So just to make things extra difficult for myself, I made these out of fabric, which means machine sewing the shape, notching, turning around, ironing and then doing all the hand sewing. To keep the strelitzia petals upright I had to wire them, which meant sewing a channel for the wire, inserting wire and hand sewing onto the sheath, which by the way is called a spathe. I’m a font of useful information I am.
I have holes in my fingers!
But I do like the way they look.
Don’t call me a masochist, but now I’m thinking proteas. Lilies. Daffodils.